Since it’s college interview season, I thought I’d share my top 5 “dont’s” for teens to be aware of before they interview. Unfortunately, I’ve seen all of these occur enough that they made the list. Beware.
- Don’t go in unprepared. Know about the school, your major, the student body and why you want to go to that particular college.
- Don’t chew gum. It’s rude, loud and distracting.
- Don’t look at your phone or hold your phone during the interview. Shut the phone off and put it away. No text, call or email is so important that you would need to take it during this 20/30 min interview. In addition, the interviewer doesn’t want to hear it buzz, chirp or vibrate from your pocket or purse.
- Don’t dress like you are going to the gym. Leave the sneakers, hats, sweatpants and leggings at home. Dress like you would to go to a nice dinner with your parents or a high school graduation. Dress pants, khakis, or skirt paired with nice blouse or shirt with a collar are a few good options.
- Don’t say IDK or rather “Hum… I don’t know.” to the interviewer. I understand that this statement is sometimes just a space filler or a nervous response for teens, but train yourself not to say it in the interview. Please!
Good luck everyone.