For those of you heading off to college this fall, I have a few suggestions for you (and/or your parents) that may save you a little money along the ways. Remember, you have 4 years ahead of you. Starting off on the right foot could mean saving a big chunk of change in the end.
Here are 5 easy ways to manage college expenses.
1) Leave the car at home. You don’t need it. Suspend the car insurance until the summer when you return.
2) Understand your meal plan options on campus. Sometimes colleges tier the plans. Find one that works for you. I see many families over spend on meal plans that don’t carry over remaining balances to the next semester. Be sure to ask.
3) Always buy your school supplies off campus. Much cheaper.
4) Get a part-time work-study job on campus. It’s convenient and if it’s an office job, they will probably allow you to use their computers, printers, supplies, etc. for your school work.
5) Take babysitting jobs off-campus. These positions are posted on job boards in the campus center or in the student employment office by local families. They pay well and the work is mainly done at night when the kids are usually sleeping, so you can get your homework done. Ask if you can do your laundry at their house in exchange for 1 free hour of babysitting. Trust me…it’s well worth it! You get paid and have clean clothes.
For more advice or tips, just ask!